Here at The Very Group, we're on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We're doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We support diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we call squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
At Very, innovation is key and at the heart of everything we do. We are a data driven organisation and have immediate opportunities for a versatile Senior Teradata DBA to join our growing engineering team. We are expanding and there are various opportunities to develop your career with us to meet your aspirations.The Role:
At Very, the Senior Teradata DBA will focus on supporting Very's 24 Node Cloud Teradata appliance and surrounding ecosystem comprising of an AIX environment carrying out 4000+ scripts and over 500 users. The DBA will be expected to help optimise the appliance through proactive optimisations of production and user code, monitoring database space allocations and owning the backup strategy.
The role holder will have opportunities to develop new processes within the Teradata ecosystem and get exposure to AWS services/platforms to further their career if they wish (AWS Redshift for example).
The role holder will eventually be expected to join the standby rota to provide out of hours support.
Working with other engineers, data scientists and the wider business, the role will require sound communication skills - both written and verbal.Day to day:
The Senior Teradata DBA works in the Teradata squad. Within that team the Senior DBA will
- Work within an agile framework.
- Aid the engineering team to develop robust, well tested, well documented solutions for deployment to a 24 node Teradata appliance.
- Contribute to the design and architecture of new data pipelines.
- Provide support for existing data pipelines.
- Own the performance of the appliance through a proficient knowledge of physical database design, capacity planning, data modelling and query language.
- Own optimisation approaches to improve performance of production and user code.
- Mentor other engineers within the squad and wider users when applicable.
- Collaborate with other senior members of the team to maintain a common technical approach.
- The Senior Teradata DBA is accountable for owning the overall performance of the Teradata appliance
- Ensuring production and user SQL code is optimised.
- Educating the user base on standard methodologies for using Teradata.
- Peer / code review for other team members.
- Mentoring more junior team members.
- Leading by example, both in the development approach and in the delivery / interaction with collaborators.
- Collaborate with the squad, other data engineers and the wider business to deliver the most effective possible solution.
- Continually keep tabs on emerging Teradata technology and features in the new environment which can improve user experience.
Essential knowledge, skills, role specific qualifications:
Solid development experience (5+) years developing upon MPP Data Warehousing Platforms.
- Proficient in Teradata SQL (or other MPP SQL) and one of AIX/Linux/Unix skills/scripting.
- Proficient knowledge of supporting ETL pipelines within a Teradata platform.
- Proficient knowledge how to optimise/design data models for Teradata platform or other MPP platforms.
- MPP DBA management skills.
- Understanding of source control management and associated tools such as Git/Bitbucket.
- Experience in the use of CI /CD tools such as Jenkins or an understanding of their role.
- Agile exposure with Scrum using tools such as Jira and Confluence.
- Strong analytical, technical, organisational and communication skills.
- Flexible in learning and being exposed to new technologies.
- a great teammate with strong soft skills.
- Exposure to CDC tools such as Oracle Goldengate, Attunity or HVR.
- Good SQL skills with any mainstream database - Oracle, MySQL, Postgres.
- Exposure to development with either Python, Scala, Java.
- Good knowledge in designing, building, using and maintaining REST APIs.
- Exposure in developing/deploying to a cloud-based environment with AWS or an alternative - GCP/Azure.
- Exposure to the AWS CLI / SDK.
- Exposure to developing Jenkins pipelines.
- Exposure to dbt.
- Flexible, hybrid working model; top rated on Glassdoor
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on (url removed)
- Matched pension up to 6%
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Onsite gyms with over 25 classes
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Data looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more, please contact the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
If you're a current employee of The Very Group, please also apply via the careers page as an internal applicant.More About us
We're The Very Group - home to (url removed) and a 3,500-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. A unique digital business, we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most. And we've been doing it for over a century - moving from catalogues to bricks to pureplay online retail, consistently reinventing the way our customers shop and our people work to help them get the most out of life every day.
When you join Very, you're joining a dynamic, successful and constantly developing organisation that's determined to fulfil its promise, as well as the promise of everyone it serves. You'll work in an environment that is fast-paced, customer-focused, inclusive, caring and vibrant, with people who share a commitment to helping everyone - customers and Very people alike - live life well.
If you're inventive, positive, collaborative and responsible with an energy to create the best possible life for yourself and others...then come and join us!Equal opportunities
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We'll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide any financial information. Please get in touch if you see any roles asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information, visit safer-jobs.com.