Senior Buyer - Indirects
Based in Birmingham
£35-40k + Benefits
Our client is looking for an experienced buyer or procurement professional who has specific experience of indirect spend (such as HR services, Fleet, FM, Stationery, Travel, IT etc)
To deliver best practice procurement, cost reduction and service improvements within the non resale category and make recommendations to the Head of Procurement on the Procurement Strategy for Non Resale products and services. Ensure competitiveness in all areas, with the objective of continuous improvement in the procurement of goods and services purchased by the company. Assist with the effective management of and provide strategic input to the commercial and contractual aspects of the company's procurement practices in order to secure commercial arrangements with suppliers which maximise value for money within acceptable risk levels.
Strategic & Operational
- Manage and direct spend within non resale categories, influencing spend of £32 million.
- Source, evaluate and select new suppliers demonstrating representation of best value for money.
- Manage and deliver cost saving targets year on year as agreed with the Head of Procurement.
- Ensure the management of supply base through the use of service level agreements and supplier performance monitoring techniques.
- Ensure compliance to the Procurement Policy & Procedure, influencing the correct direction of spend
- Execute or lead on the execution of tender processes to select and manage vendors and report to management on the outcomes of the selection process.
- Lead implementation to ensure effective and efficient processes and procedures for supplier introduction or contractual or commercial amendments.
- Liaise with the European Procurement Team to identify synergies in operations and achieve efficiencies through economy of scale.
- Review commercial proposals and liaise with Legal Department as part of the contracting mechanism to produce a final contractual document acceptable to both parties
- Draft and analyse contractual requirements and terms and conditions to ensure Legal Counsel has an in-depth understanding of the proposed commercial relationship
- Assist the Head of Procurement & Legal Counsel in providing contractual guidance and training to the Contract Managers and Business Stakeholders
- Manage strategic level relationship with existing suppliers, e.g. share future plans and aspirations, understand view of performance and future capability needs, understand capacity and capability of supplier.
- In conjunction with the business areas, lead and set reviews to explore new product ranges and services, quality, price market trends and fluctuations in order to maintain competitiveness.
- In conjunction with the Head of Procurement and Legal Counsel maintain a ‘sourcing route map’, identifying existing supply contracts and framework agreements and their scope, with renewal/review dates. Incorporate requirements for new contracts and procurement activity as and when agreed as part of overall category planning strategy.
- Act as a point of escalation for issues that arise at an operational level but which have significant implications, e.g. significant scope change to contracted services, breach of contract by supplier and/or other matters that have a significant implication on the relationship between us and the supplier
Financial & Commercial
- Manage and ensure costs are kept to a minimum whilst providing the most appropriate and up to date product and service costs.
- Lead negotiations to obtain maximum terms and conditions of supply.
- Manage and introduce invoice efficiencies through the negotiation and supplier agreement to electronic invoicing solutions.
- Lead cross functional teams to deliver required savings, productivity and service measures.
- Ensure all quality and cost objectives are monitored and recommendations for appropriate remedial/improvement actions are planned.
- Track effectiveness of non resale category strategy through savings tracker report.
- Develop operational understanding of our financial systems to assist in trend analysis.
- Research and compile specification requirements in order to produce data for analysis.
- Manage and implement appropriate systems to improve process efficiency in category management.
- Maintain a sufficient knowledge of the Company's Internal Control processes to be able to ensure that the Company's quality and audit requirements are appropriately met.
- Involvement in business projects as required
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with all relevant business areas including Operations, IT/IS, Facilities, the European Procurement Team and key contacts within the group.
- Act as primary interface with the Group Legal Department regularly communicating key procurement priorities and timescales to ensure the timely completion of contractual documents.
- Develop strong working relationships with all suppliers.
- Share knowledge & information to ensure the team is up to date on company and industry issues.
Min 3 years within a buying or procurement role
Specific experience of any areas of indirect spend (such as HR services, Fleet, FM, Stationery, Travel, IT etc)
Ideally CIPS or part CIPS qualified
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.