Trade Counter Assistant
Location: Ashford, Kent.
Salary: £11,119.68 + quarterly performance related bonus / pension / increased holiday with length of service/Employee Assistance Programme/employee discounts.
Contract: 24 hours / week (Mainly weekend working though must be able to work flexibly between Monday to Sunday).
Since starting in 2003, FFX have become one of the UK’s largest independent suppliers of high-quality tools, fixings and building supplies and now we want you to play a key role in our future by joining our busy Trade Counter.
As we now look to expand our weekend operation, we are looking to recruit part time Trade Counter Assistants at our Folkestone and Ashford Branches, predominantly to work on Saturday & Sunday but with additional hours during the week on a flexible basis.
We need our colleagues to provide an outstanding level of customer service in relation to building materials, power tools, hand tool and accessories in line with our company vision of “the widest range of products, delivered quickly with great service, readily available and offered at a truly competitive price”.
Although previous experience of working on a Trade Counter would be ideal, more important are your excellent communication skills and strong customer service ethos.
Responsibilities of the role
• To provide an excellent level of customer service to a wide variety of tradesmen and local builders, providing help and product advice as required.
• Building rapport with customers and proactively generating sales through the upselling of products.
• Investigating and resolving customer issues, escalating to the Branch Manager where appropriate.
• Overseeing your allocated areas within the shop ensuring adherence to Health and Safety requirements, keeping the area clean and tidy, ensuring products are correctly priced and the display is well organised.
• Taking cash, credit card and account purchases via computerised tills, and reconciling cash at the end of the day.
• Identifying any reporting any concerns relating to theft of products.
• Taking customer orders over the phone and in person and having an eye for detail to ask the right questions if an order doesn’t look/sound right.
• Setting up trade and customer accounts on the FFX system.
• Answering and resolving telephone queries from customers.
• Organising the stock room and general stock replenishment, especially to your designated areas.
• Monitoring stock levels and helping to minimise stock loss by watching for theft and through advising management of discrepancies.
• Providing cover and assistance anywhere within the branch (and other branches) as and when required.
• General re-dressing of the shop area to ensure products are displayed with maximum appeal to the customer.
• Selecting space for storage and arranging for goods to be placed in the designated areas.
• Making sure that all inventory processes are completed on the same day.
• Cleaning and tidying up at the end of the day.
• Consistently demonstrating and adhering to the brand values at all times.
Capability, Knowledge and Experience
• Good working knowledge of power tools and accessories, hand tools, general construction consumables, fixings and building materials.
• Previous customer service experience.
• Good IT/system skills.
• Using mechanical handling equipment e.g. fork lift trucks (if licenced).
• Strong customer service ethos with the desire to go above and beyond for the customer.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• The ability to work quickly and accurately with excellent attention to detail.
• Motivated with good organisational skills.
• Team worker but also happy and able to work unsupervised.
• Proactive with a high level of common sense.
These duties are not exhaustive. Additional hours of work may be required, as determined by the needs of the business. Additional duties, responsibilities and projects may also be required.
If you feel you have the skills and experience to be successful in this role then apply today!
Remember: You should never send cash or cheques to a prospective employer, or provide your bank details or any other financial information for factors such as DBS clearance, uniforms or first aid training. We pay great attention to vetting all jobs that appear on our site, but please get in touch if you see any roles using premium rate phone numbers, or asking for payments or financial details from you. For more information on conducting a safe job hunt online, visit safer-jobs.com.